The name Rego Park is derived from that of Rego Construction Co., Inc. (Rego is an acronym for Really Good!), the firm that developed the community in 1926. The core of the development was 525 eight room houses costing $8,000 apiece. The first stores were built on Queens Boulevard and 63rd Drive a year later. Apartment buildings such as the Court, Remo Hall and Marion Court were erected in 1928. Prior to 1926 the land was devoted to agriculture. During the 1800s large farms provided produce for New York City whose population was increasing spectacularly. Large landholders were primarily of Dutch ancestry from 1800 until 1850 and overwhelmingly German immigrants from1850 until 1900.